Thursday, July 17, 2008

Greetings from Pohang

Hi all -- as I'm sure most of you know, this month I'm in Pohang, South Korea, teaching at an English camp. I'm hoping to update the blog occasionally with pictures and stories, but this will just be a quick one...

I left Chattanooga at 6 am on Saturday morning, and after a shuttle van ride to Atlanta, a direct flight to the other side of the world (Seoul), and a bus ride halfway across the country to Pohang, and a quick drive to campus, I arrived at Handong University not quite 30 hours after I left home. Needless to say, I was exhausted.

Once I got out of Seoul, the drive became really beautiful. 70% of Korea is mountainous, and the mountains are close together and rolling, a lot like West Virgina (Hi Duncans), except pointy on top, and tucked into the valleys are vineyards of some sort and rice fields. I didn't take any pictures, but I did find these on the web:



A nice drive, really. There was a little bit of a worry for me at the bus station, as there was a mix up about the time somebody was supposed to pick me up. I only waited for about half an hour, but I got pretty nervous standing around in a foreign bus station, the only one around who was clearly not Korean and clearly lost, late at night. I guess I didn't need to be worried, as everyone I approached (to borrow a cell phone to call someone) or who noticed me confused wanted to stop and help me. Korea seems to be a country of hospitality to say the least. Two people from the camp came and found me, though, and they were so friendly too.

I have to run to dinner now, so I can't post any more, but I have plenty more pictures where these came from. Oh, I guess that would mean the internet. What I mean is I have plenty of pictures that I've been taking.

Sarah

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

These posts are amazing and I can't believe your on the other side of the universe!